Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Katniss Wrap - Progress

Last night, I raided my local Jo-Ann's and got to work on my Katniss Wrap! I got two pretty greys that I felt comfortable with (and they matched!), a larger cable hook (for my stash) and started planning out my stitches. The needles are a set that I'm borrowing (going on a few years now) from Oni. She brought them back with her from England while she was there and they are quite possibly my favorite set of needles to work with!
Anyways - I got my sketchpad out, turned on the TV and wrote out my stitch key. I think you can see in the third photo to cast on 36 stitches.  That's all I feel comfortable with sharing at the moment because I don't feel too confident in the amount of rows to twist the cable just yet.  I twisted it too soon in the first few rows (just to get it started) and I think in the second twist, I twisted it too soon, STILL - even though I waited twice the amount of rows than the first time!  I think the longer it gets, the easier it will be to figure out when to twist it.  With that being said, the area I'm working on is for the arm hole / strap and it will be on the back of the finished piece!
I'm holding a strand of Lion Brand Chicago Charcoal and Bernat Softee Chunky True Grey at the same time and it's a lot thicker that I thought it would be - which is great because I was afraid it was going to be too loose / thin!  I love the combination of these two yarns!
I know Katniss's piece isn't cabled but I think this might turn out to be a more stylized version of it (and not a direct copy - which would be nice but...)

   

1. Yarn stash - I have 5 balls of Lion Brand and only 2 of the Bernat / 2. Yarn color names / 3. Needles / 4. 36 stitches cast on / 5. The first cable twist (to the front) on the 5th row (too soon!) / 6. Progress after 2 twists and 15-ish rows finished

What do you think?  I probably should've made the cowl first since I don't know how long it's going to fall from the neck to the shoulders - which would probably determine how long the arm strap is but oh well!  At least with this, I know that the cowl neck might be too bulky as a cable so I might just make a 2x2 rib OR maybe I'll try some bobbles?  Or maybe this pattern I saw while looking for a link to the bobble stitch: the Purl Twist.  So pretty!  Or maybe the Belt Welt!  That might match a little more to the arm strap design.  I feel since the arm strap is going to be embellished some, so should the cowl - but not too much and maybe the Belt Welt pattern is the right mix for this?  There's only one way to find out!

PS - my aunt would be so proud that I'm putting all the knitting skills she taught me to good use.  She would probably be happy that I'm using my Post-Apocalyptic Talent.  What's that: Post-Apocalyptic Talent?  While she was here, we were talking about if an apocalyptic event happened, what skill or skills do you have that would be useful in a large group - if you survived?  I told her I can cook the basics but I can knit up some stuff for the harsh Winter months and she said that with my knittings skills combined with hers, we'd make a pretty good team.  I'm glad she'll have me in her group!  Do you have any Post-Apocalyptic Talents?

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment