Thursday, November 14, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013

It's November which means NaNoWriMo!  I was going to write another story but I want to focus on my main one so I can get a script together and out of my brain!!  I mean, I've been working on it since last year and all...I just never really like to end my stories.

Why?

Because that means it's over!  The story is over!  The characters move on!  Who wants that?  Not me!  I love my characters - good or bad - and I want their adventures to continue!  Granted, they can't and I know that but still.

My old man hooked me up with one of his co-workers, who just so happens to be a writer, and he gave me some GREAT advice.  He also encouraged me to step away from my main writing project if I need to, just to get an emotional break, but he told me something very important: KEEP WRITING.  Whether it's a crappy idea or something I might want to pursue later, WRITE IT DOWN!!!  I knew that already but it was great to hear it from him because it proved I've been doing the right thing all along!

Meeting with him was great because, I know I've said this before but I'm going to keep pointing it out, at work, I'm very isolated.  I'm the only person in the building that does what I do - editing, animations, a specific kind of writing...so it's hard to get motivated and stay motivated when my co-workers don't "get" me, so I cherish these kinds of interactions because they really do mean a lot to me and it feels great to be surrounded by others that have the same interests as you, right?!

I'm happy to say that I'm 34 pages into my script so far and I'm right on target with the parameters he gave me, which makes me so happy that I'm getting this DONE!!!  One of the exercises he gave me was to read a script similar to mine so I could get the proper structure.  Surprise - the script I chose was none other than Blue Valentine.  It is structured kind of in the same way as mine but it's slightly different, of course.  Reading the script now, after having seen the movie forever ago, is great because I thought my mind was going to drift off to images of Ryan Gosling being super romantic and Michelle Williams being her lovely self (in the flashbacks) but really, I'm looking at it from a totally different perspective now and it's helping me maintain my momentum with my own story.  Granted, the last few weeks have been CRAZY at work but I'm getting back into it - including already having come up with a great concept that I'm going to build up, write a pretty in-depth synopsis for and pass on to my mentor to see if it's a "Yea" or "Nay" to pursue.  So far, all signs point to "Yea".  YAY!

Anyone else participating in NaNoWriMo this year??

No comments:

Post a Comment