Monday, April 8, 2013

Why I Love Bloody Horror (NSFW)

I'm not your typical horror fan.  I hate zombie movies.  I'm sorry - I do.  If I'm given the choice, I won't watch a horror movie on my own.  My old man usually has to coax me into it.
As far as demonic possession goes, the REC movies started out okay.  The original Evil Dead was silly - but still well done.  28 Days Later was pretty good.  I can't stand the Paranormal Activity movies.  Insidious started out okay until the ghost busters showed up...I could keep going but I'll stop right here at Hostel and Hostel: Part II.
I love me some Eli Roth.  His blog is wonderful and my main source of inspiration for filmmaking, he's a great actor and he does great gore.  I mean, you can't go wrong with Eli Roth's Goretorium, right?!?

More gore under the cut!

Anyways - back to Hostel - that shit was gross.  Rich people in an exclusive killing club in Europe.  Sounds okay but Hostel really shook me to the core because it made me think about trafficking and how that probably does exist somewhere in this crazy world.  But what was great about Hostel: Part II was that it was a full on revenge movie.  With women.  Women taking revenge on their captors.  I LOVED IT.  Yes, some of the girls died brutal deaths and it was terrible to witness BUT the girl who ended up getting her revenge was a straight badass and I really enjoyed her.  Granted, the way she killed her captor was kind of lame BUT it was still awesome at the same time.  There were some pretty spectacular deaths in that movie as well.  The Elizabeth Báthory style death was AMAZING.



I guess you could say that maybe, just maybe, I have a bit of an obsession with blood rain.

Normally, I hate gore.  But I can stand behind a good, literal blood bath.  That's one of the reasons I enjoyed the new Evil Dead.  It. Had. BLOOD RAIN.



It was raining blood on the cabin and it was glorious.  Now, I don't remember too much of the original Evil Dead because it has been a while.  My old man remembered quite a few things.  I could tell by the way he was laughing quietly at the sight of the old car Mia was sitting on, the way David was dressed (I totes got that reference, thankyouverymuch) and other little things that happened that mirrored the original that there were a lot of nods to the Raimi classic.  One thing was nagging me, though.  Did it rain blood in the first one and if it did, why couldn't I remember???  My old man let me know that there was no blood rain and I think once that was confirmed, it made the rest of the new Evil Dead even more special.
Why?  Why do I love blood rain?  I don't know.  Why do I love blood baths?  I have no idea.  Cabin Fever grossed me out to the point where I was having nightmares about the poor girl they locked in the shed and I'd probably faint / have a heart attack after 3 paces into the Goretorium because I'm that much of a wuss.  But there's just something about people soaked in blood (even if there's a blood-like liquid being vomited on them) that I LOVE.



I LOVE IT. I just do. And I gotta give the sound department MAJOR props for their sound design on Evil Dead because that weird goat/siren noise was as scary as it is awesome.

Seeing Evil Dead this weekend reignited my passion for blood and revenge. Why blood? Why not! Why revenge? The same reason: why the fuck not?!  I've had this little baby of a gory movie inside my brain that has been itching to get out and I think now is the time to put an ending on this thing.  Sure, I've used it as a past NaNoWriMo (2010 and 2011) but I think NOW is the time to get my characters together and finish it out for reals.  Granted, it won't be as awesomely bloody as the new Evil Dead but I definitely want it to have the grossness of Cabin Fever.  Who will be brave enough to embark on this gory journey with me?  I don't think the two writer friends I enjoy working with will like the content BUT maybe they can help me shape the story?  I'd be happy to fill out the gory details (heyyyooooo!)


But seriously - why blood? Why do I enjoy vampire movies or shows about vampires (True Blood, specifically)?  Or torrential downpours of blood?  Rivers of blood?  Bathtubs of blood?  Why do I enjoy the free-flowing liquid that courses through our veins? Why? Why do I love blood?  I think it's because I love how intimate it is.  It comes from inside of you.  Blood is the essence of life.  Why blood?  Why not?  Blood is pure.  Blood can mean a lot of things.  Blood is powerful.  Blood is beautiful.  It gives life.  Sadly, it can take it away.  Blood is sacred and beautiful.  So what about blood rain?  That's a really beautiful thing.  Blood splattering pretty faces?  How can you not love that?

No comments:

Post a Comment