Monday, March 18, 2013

Biltmore Dreams

Today is the old man's birthday and how do we celebrate? Oh, you know, by touring and wine tasting at America's Largest Home! I'm talking about the Biltmore Estate, of course. I had never been before and I have to say that my mom was right - I love it! The architecture, the opulence, the sheer size of it all! It's spectacular! And even though it was our first gloomy day here in Asheville, it was a great day to tour the Biltmore.
The complimentary audio tour was great because we got our to hear some wonderful history about the house.  As we walked the grounds outside and took the tour inside, we tried to imagine just how awesome it would have been to be a guest here.  Imagine the parties!  Imagine all the fun to be had on the ginormous grounds!  The property used to span 125,000 acres and today, it covers 8,000 acres - the rest is part of Pisgah National Forest.  GINORMOUS!!
I would love to come back when the sun is out and all the flowers are in bloom.  The gardens would be a spectacular sight, I'm sure!

Fancy time The Biltmore Estate The Biltmore Estate The Biltmore Estate The Biltmore Estate Cruisin' The Biltmore Estate The Biltmore Estate The Biltmore Estate The Biltmore Estate

1-The Biltmore House / 2-4-Statues on the property / 5-In the wine cellar / 6-One of 10 in existence, a 1913 Stevens-Duryea / 7-Biltmore architecture / 8-Mrs. Vanderbilt's room, I believe... / 9-Creepy cat doll in one of the gift shops / 10-The Winter Garden ceiling

The Biltmore is a pretty magical place, I'd say.  There are pretty neat things going on there.  Honestly, if I were wealthy, I might try to rent it out for a week for my family or something!  Or I'd rent it out for an entire day for a private tour with their best guides, chefs and sommeliers.  But it'd be in the warmer months, of course!  Or maybe even Christmas!  I'm sure it's crazy beautiful around Christmas time...

Anyways - onto phase three of the old man's birthday: dinner!  Phase two was lunch at Rosetta's Kitchen. Their vegan chili is wonderfully spicy and delicious!  I highly recommend it!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment