Sunday, October 14, 2012

Project Runway: Finale Part 1 - The Recap!

Surprise!  Everyone gets to go to Fashion Week!  What a (non) twist!  Who didn't see that coming?!  Whoa!!!  Yeah okay, now that I have that out of the way, let's chat about the cherished Project Runway tradition of the Tim Gunn home visits.

Christopher.  Oh, Christopher.  I love LOVE that textile you had made of your Mom's xray.  I LOVE IT.  But then I kept seeing this beauty lurking...



It's VERY reminiscent of Christian Siriano's designs but that shit looks good, girl. Why didn't you show that shit off?! The judges practically jizzed themselves over your rip-then-sew technique that just so happened to win you a couple of challenges and here's the mother of them all and you left it in the workroom?!?!? I get that it probably needed to be fit to the lucky model who will end up wearing it to Fashion Week BUT I think you should've fit it, altered it just for presentation time (you know, Santino Rice-style with some pins and a basting stich here and there) and then seen what the judges would've said. DAMN! I know it's not that easy but you know what I mean. Instead, you showed these three beauties.
   

Honestly, I didn't have a problem with these three looks but I'll agree with the judges that it was a bit of a boring presentation to go to Fashion Week. I mean, when you have that gorgeous gown above, why on Earth would you present some short shorts and a bleached leather bustier?

Dmitry, Dmitry, Dmitry...Why didn't you tell me you were in Jersey City! I totes could've visited with you! I kid, I kid. But seriously folks, what is this?



What is this? I know you can make a mean dress and your lines are to die for but, Dmitry, what's with the sheer shirts? What's with that crazy jacket?! What was up with ALL OF THAT when this gorgeous thing was waiting on a dress form back in the work room?



Seriously?! That looks like the Dmitry I know and love, not that wierd fringe jacket thing. Well, I guess it's very Dmitry but shit - that dress looks like pure design insanity - in a good way. Why in the world did you leave that in there? I mean, it was clear that that white dress didn't fit your model all that snugly but you still sent it down. I'm sure you could've done the Santino thing and run a basting stitch just for the sake of presentation day, right? Ugh, I know it's not that easy but why didn't Tim step in and be all, "You have this gorgeous gown. YOu're going to present it, right?"

Fabio's really surprised me. He lost me with those crazy bowl cut wigs but I was captivated by his whole collection. I know the judges said you either love it or hate it so, throw me in the LOVE IT category because I think it's fabulous!



I loved the colours, I loved the accessories, I loved the flowy drapeyness of it all and I loved how light and street it felt. I think Fabio had a really great collection.  Nice touch with the Jeffrey Campbell Litas in there, too.  Call me crazy but I thought it was absolutely lovely and just so fun and different and the right amount of "weirdly beautiful". Fabio, I hope to one day have you design very special piece for me! I would LOVE IT!

I think I might've been expecting more from Melissa. I don't know why but I think I was secretly expecting some sort of weird, demented collection full of blacks and reds and metal and ripped up seams. Instead, there was a dress similar to the Marie Claire @ Work challenge (which I loved), short shorts and a pirate jacket.



First off, what's with the wigs? I'm glad the judges got onto her for that. They were awful. Second - I'm with Nina: CUT THOSE SLEEVES OFF!! I hate those pirate cuffs! The jacket is beautiful...until those you get to those gigantic, comical pirate cuffs. What is that?! I'm excited to see what else Melissa has but at the same time, I'm kind of like: "Meh, it looks like the 'elegant' part of Taylor Momsen's closet. I guess." I don't know. I'm conflicted. She has a great eye and I do really enjoy her aestheic but I hope there's more.

Tough Love Time: Is it just me or has this season of Project Runway recieived MORE tough love pep talks from Tim and the Gang than any other season because it sure feels like it to me. I mean, I get that it's hard and emotionally taxing and all that but I feel like Heidi had to slap the kids around for presenting just okay looks for Fashion Week. You can't wait for the Big Reveal at Fashion Week, the Big Reveal has to happen on that presentation day or else they might not give you that Big Reveal day - which is what Heidi said. Come on guys. You know how the show works, you know that if you presented it to the judges on review day, the would probably jizz their pants and maybe, just maybe, keep that in the back of their minds during the big show. Shit - they might love it even more during the big show because it was such a strong piece among your other more subdued pieces. Who knows. But I think that's why they decided to let you all in - because you all promised a statement piece at your presentation.

I know Tom and Lorenzo posted photos from Fashion Week and I yes, I might've looked at them but that was forever ago and I'm fighting the urge to look at them again just for the sake of being (kinda) surprised during next week's episode.  I'm hoping they all turn it around.  They have such strong ideas and I've come to love each and every one of these designers and I'm secretly rooting for all of them because they all have pieces I adore but like always, there can be only one. 

You want to know what I think?  I think Dmitry wins because of the way his attitude has been progressing in his little side interviews.  I don't mean that in a shitty way - I'm just saying.  If you go back and watch the last few episodes, you can see a glimmer of something in his eyes.  I could be wrong, though.  I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Who are you rooting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment