Monday, June 25, 2012

70s Party Weekend

What a whirlwind weekend! Let me start from the beginning. A few months ago, my boss, the big bosses and a few others in the office started planning a surprise party for the CEO of the company I work for. In preparation for it, we had a big time call to action from his family and all of our out of state / country agents for any and all kinds of materials to make a photo slideshow and a video montage with birthday wishes from the people who couldn't travel here. So - a bunch of planning and reworking and a few final touches later, we had the big night last night and it must be me in my old age but...I'm getting more and more anxious about the little things. I've always been a worrier but it's getting worse. Like last night, I was a huge ball of nerves until the video presentation was over because I wanted everyone to like it. And I kinda didn't want the computer I was playing it from to crash (again). After it was over, I was finally able to relax - even though I still had to "work" somewhat. Everyone loved the video, so no need to be anxious but I just can't help it. Blah. Anyways...
The party was a 70's theme since the CEO was turning the big Seven-Zero. Originally I wasn't going to dress up because I knew I was going to be running around with a camera and be messing with A/V stuff but I remembered I had bought this really great dress with Lauren at the magical thrift store in the Highlands. With that in mind, I watched a few 70's hair and makeup tutorials on YouTube and spent the rest of my Saturday afternoon getting ready. I was particularly fond of this tutorial so I made it work and messed with my hair a little. I tried to get my head chain to work and it looked great
My best interpretation of the theme of tonight's event
And even though I felt a little like Atreyu and the Childlike Empress in The Neverending Story, I felt that it was working...until I put my dress on. I felt like they just weren't going well together. Plan B - Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver hair. Or Clockwork Orange ladies hair. Or Michelle Pfeiffer in Scarface hair. Wait - Scarface was '83. Oops.
I tried salvaging my soft waves but I couldn't so I just did what I always do and I pulled my hair back.
Here we go...
A good thing because I was running around as soon as I got to work. I was glad to be able to incorporate an authentic disco jewelry piece from my Mom. She had a huge bag that she let Oni and me pick our favourite pieces from. I tried to get my golds to work but I'm partial to silver and white gold, so I ended up mixing my metals.

The silver necklace was a present from my Mom and I wear it everyday, the square necklace was my Mom's disco piece and the nameplate necklace was a gift from my Dad. I was pretty proud of my jewelry assortment! I was trying to let my nameplate pass as my name tag because I didn't want my name tag to mess up my whole ensemble but I had no choice.
Either way, I think I did okay. Some outfits were crazier than others I'll admit but I'm not entirely sure I can post some of the photos I took because of the "whole photos at work" thing. Meh. Let's just say that there were two staff members - I won't say who (even though you don't know who they are anyway) - who wore their wives' pants. Hilarious.
So, I worked through my anxiety and made it through the night and since I had half a glass of wine and a Coke, I was pretty awake when I got home at around 1am-ish. So what's a girl to do??? Why, drink cotton candy vodka and watch Louis on F/X of course! Thrilling. Good thing we took it wasy on Sunday...

How was your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment