Tuesday, January 24, 2012

More collars? Yes, please!

This post had me thinking about collars. Since I have a new glittery collars in my jewelry arsenal, I got to thinking...What kind other glittery things could I *try* to replicate? Hmmm...

One article pointed me to this lovely beauty

My version would be without the tie-thing that resembles something else...
 
And that necklace got me thinking about another collar piece that I've been in love with FOREVER: The Satine.


Though The Satine is based more in filigree and bigger diamond pieces, I think I'd like to attempt this in vinyl first and then see if I can try it with stiff felt for the neck piece and incorporate some wire work for the open work on the chest part - or vice versa: stiff felt first then vinyl?  Or I could keep with the stiff felt and use a dressmakers pencil to trace out my shapes and then glue rhinestones in the filigree open work?

That is a BIG project!  It's also a project I've been talking about doing FOREVER.  A few years ago, I bought some wires and cheap plastic beads for my mock up and I didn't get too far.  I even thought about taking a metalsmithing class just so I could recreate this in silver.  Oy. 
This necklace haunts me.  I love it more than any other jewelry piece I've ever seen in my entire life.  It comes to me in my dreams (I swear), it pops up randomly in my head, I even reference it for when I'm talking about extravagant pieces.  I mean, how could I not?

Let's see if my collar-making skills are up for the task this year.  If not, there's always next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment