Thursday, November 10, 2011

Rebeling for the sake of my lost youth spent in the background

Okay - call me a hypocrite.  I don't care.

In 2009, I wrote a little blurb about Cassie and her undercut.



I had some very Mom things to say about it too - including such greatest hits as:
*Comb-overs are awesome?
*It's going to take FOREVER to grow back
*It's not going to grow back pretty

Well, guess who was going through an existential crisis last Friday and decided she would "cut the crazy out" of her hair?

THIS BITCH RIGHT HERE
 
Yeah.  And what?   I ain't even mad.

Honestly, I had a little one inch piece already shaved in and Malcom (the stylist at Toni and Guy) said, "If you're going to have an undercut, you need to go all the way.  Are you ready to go all the way?"  Um...hell yes.  Why not?!  I can't dye my hair until all the damaged parts are cut out (Thanks PA...) so cutting my hair is the next thing.  Besides, I always seem to cut my hair when I'm suffering so I guess you can say that I'm suffering pretty hard since I had to shave half of it off...true story.

Apparently Hayley Williams had the same idea:

photo source 
Does that make us besties?  Yes, yes it does...LOLZ.  Hayley, you rock!

I guess you can say that I'm trying to catch up to my younger days.  Do I smell a mid-life crisis coming on?  Maybe.  But I feel like I was such a fucking square when I was younger - this realization has become very clear to me now on more than one occasion - and I think I'm trying to rebel.  To a certain degree, that is.  It's just hair.  It grows back.  Just like the pink hair, this will pass.  I don't want to call it a phase but whatever it is, it's temporary.  And I'm pretty sure the pink hair will return, just maybe not so all-over.  I can't take that much maintenance.  And because mortality has been on my mind since I decided to make this trip, I feel like my motto will now be: You only live once. I've also been living by No Regrets since my Mom and I had an in depth conversation about that a few years back...I guess I'm a late bloomer but you know what?  I'm embracing it.

Katzi
S.L.Y.A.S.D.I.

2 comments:

  1. ah hi i found your post about undercuts and i'm wondering if you're south asian and if so, how that affected getting the undercut. also, i love it, and i want to know how short to get it, any suggestions? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm Puerto Rican. I have naturally wavy hair and I just dealt with flat ironing it when it got pretty long. When I initially got it done, we didn't shave it that close but when I got it touched up after about an inch of growth or so, we went a little closer so it would last a little longer. It's really your preference. I think we didn't go too close the first time in case it didn't look right but luckily, it was great!
      The real pain is growing it out but if you know a good hair stylist, they'll work with you on incorporating that section of hair back in. My hair stylist is amazing and she gave me the perfect cut so that it wouldn't look weird as it grew out. I hope that helps!

      Delete