Monday, April 25, 2011

The Killing and Twin Peaks

I have recently been caught up in a little show on AMC called The Killing. It first came to my attention during an extended re-viewing even for the first episode and I noticed that one of my favorite sister wives from Big Love is the main star: Mireille Enos. It's weird to watch her outside of the compound in normal clothes and as a cop because I'm so used to her as Kathy and Jodeen from Big Love but I have to say - The Killing is pretty great. It also features my favorite maenad from True Blood: Maryanne, played by Michelle Forbes.
The story starts with a murder. There's a pretty straight-laced detective (Enos) and a thugged out beat cop (played very convincingly by Joel Kinneman) investigating this girls' life and what led up to her untimely death. Nothing is what it seems in rainy Seattle and more strange things keep turning up as the story of this poor girl keeps unfolding. Who was she, really? Who did she hang out with? Why was she involved in this brutal killing? Sound familiar? It should - it sounds like another crime drama known as Twin Peaks.
The reason why the comparison is so fresh in my mind is because I've recently begun re-watching Twin Peaks thanks to my trusty Netflix Instant queue. While I was watching, I couldn't help but think some of the same things I saw on The Killing mirrored what I was seeing on Twin Peaks. Granted, there are very distinct differences between the two shows, but I can't help to point out similarities between the two.
They both start with the peculiar murder of a young girl. They both have a good cop, weird cop happening - Kyle MacLachlans's eccentric Agent Copper VS Joel Kinneman's thugged out Stephen Holder. They both have the slain girl mixing with the wrong crowd...but I've just finished episode 4 of Twin Peaks and so far, they're on the hunt for a one-armed man. If Sarah Linden starts talking about dreams she has with backwards-talking little people, we have a problem. So far, though, I think we're okay.
Both shows are very well-done and I can definitely see why my Mom didn't want us watching Twin Peaks while we were growing up but times have changed and I hate to say it but, compared to what's on TV now, Twin Peaks is a little tame. Granted, it was very ahead of its time and had a more soap opera feel but I'd say it was definitely a "gateway show" for many other TV shows on right now.
I'm pretty sure the similarities stop with the murder of a high school girl mixing with the wrong crowd in the Pacific Northwest but I can't help thinking about one show while watching the other. I'm sure that will end soon, though. Agent Cooper has been introduced to the Bookhouse Boys and I think things will start to get supernatural...
Either way, I love both shows. I'm a sucker for Mr. MacLachlan AND I really like the chemistry between Enos and Kinneman. I'll try to be a little more discerning while watching both shows...
Love and kisses,
Katzi
S.L.Y.A.S.D.I

PS - This is my first post using the Blogsy App for the iPad.  It took a little time for the app and my account to sync up but other than that, it's a pretty nice app.  We'll see how it handles photos and videos in future posts...

No comments:

Post a Comment