Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Skins 2.0

Last night, the MTV version of Skins premiered and I was really excited about it. That is, until I saw the girl who was supposed to be Effy 2.0
I know when you're out all night partying, you're going to look rough the next day - it's a given - but this chick, Eura, looks like a coked out 45 year old hooker. No lie.


At least Effy was gorgeous after a night out of partying. I mean, look at her!

Flawless! Even with her hair and makeup all crazy, she still has her teenage vibe.
Eura, on the other hand, does not. And let's not forget that if the show progresses like the British show, Eura will eventually become the object of affection for three friends.
There's probably more than that but I've only made through season 3 on the UK version. Sorry!

Aaaaaanyways...
Although I didn't really think UK Tony was all that hot, he is 1000 million times hotter than US Tony. Yeah, I said it. I mean, check him out


I know it's not supposed to be a direct copy of the UK version but still! I fell in love with those UK cats and these MTV reboots are nothing but Gossip Girl wannabe hipster punks. Example - the Penn Badgley / Tony guy. WTF?!

At least the US Michelle is prettier than UK Michelle. Sorry! BUT I do appreciate UK Michelle being more relateable than US Michelle.
VS

This one surprised me: Tea. Who the FUCK is Tea? Oh, that's right, she's the lesbian equivalent to Maxxie. WTF?! Why not a gay guy? Tony goes down on him in Russia! Is that what you were trying to avoid? Maxxie also has rough, outdoor sex with one of his bullies. Are you afraid that will cheapen what Kurt is dealing with on Glee? What's the deal? Is it the sex appeal of lesbians? Is it because lesbians are easier to watch than gay men? I LOVED Maxxie and thought he was great but all his awesome storylines will be lost: his attraction to Anwar, his stalker Sketch, his dad getting mad at him for wanting to be a dancer, Tony blowing him, Maxxie helping Tony after Tony's accident...NOT COOL.


And what is up with Cadie? I'm not sure how I feel about her just yet. Cassie was loveable from the start. Cadie is just sad. Let's hope Cadie has the same wide-eyed childlike wonderment Cassie always had.
VS

What can I say about Sid 2.0 - Stanley. He's got luscious locks, a cute baby Sam Rockwell-ish face and he's not at all awkward in the way Sid was...

UK Sid was loveable and the kind of awkward that made you cringe a little because it was almost painful but no matter how shitty Tony was to him, he was always loyal - and you could see that - even when they were fighting. Stanley...not so much...

I'm not too sure how I feel about Abbud since he wasn't really present in the first episode but we'll see how he progresses...
VS

And what's up with Daisy? I know she's supposed to be Jal 2.0 but she dresses better and doesn't seem to have a stick up her ass...YET. Don't get me wrong - I still love Jal (since she was the Liberty of Skins UK) but we'll see how Daisy progresses...(especially with Chris)
VS

And last, but not least, we have Chris. *FACEPALM* UK Chris is loveable, good looking, awkward and just doesn't give a fuck. US Chris is alright but UK Chris is, and always will be, my most favourite character ever. (Next to Cook - but that's another post...)


So there you have it. My rundown of the kids of Skins 2.0. I was trying to watch it objectively. I know it's not supposed to be just like the UK version but you can't help but compare the two since it's still, technically, a remake. I hope the stories and the characters develop a little better but I'm not holding my breath...

Love and kisses,
Katzi
S.L.Y.A.S.D.I.

4 comments:

  1. I think you're Harsh about Tony and Eura, like I know no one can replace Effy, but Eura has potential, she has a really nice look to her,it's different obviously not the same as effy, and has a nice contrast between her party and home life. The new tony's a bit of the same, he has a nice sly look when he acts, anyway they're both hot, we're just not used to them, it's maybe called a remake but it's different and it's supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know they can't be replaced and all but I just didn't like how Eura came home looking like a trampy mess with her bra all out. It was like they were trying too hard to "edge" her up when really, they don't have to think about it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything. I don't understand why "Tea" Is in this, Chris is DISGUSTING looking (not to mention kind of dim) and how could they disgrace Cassie so? Yes, she has her issues, but she was always still the light of the group I felt. She always had a positive outlook on any situation, take in the first episode when they sunk the car "At least you have your health!" I miss her sooo much! The replacement doesn't measure up. Also, the girl playing Eura is soooo young, yes they can make her edgy but she doesn't have to look....like that.
    One more thing I would like to add, and I apologize for ranting so, this cast just doesn't seem as into it. The acting is alright, but it doesn't seem like someone's following them with a videocamera which is how I always felt the original was. The US version is missing the "raw something" that made Skins what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree!
    Cassie was totally the fairy sunshine of the group - you could always count on her to lift the group up, no matter how bad things were.
    And Chris...UK Chris felt like a friend we all had. US Chris feels like some regular bro trying to be cool. It sucks because UK Chris's character was lovable and meaningful (in the end, especially) and US Chris is totally lacking that spirit.
    And I totally agree 1000% that the US version is missing the "raw something" the UK show has. it feels TOO scripted, in a terrible way.

    ReplyDelete