Monday, March 8, 2010

Live blogging the Oscars unintentionally

I wasn't planning on live-tweeting/tumbling the Oscars last night but I couldn't help it - there was too much good stuff happening that I just kept thinking "How could I not?!"
The Oscars has always been a huge thing for me ever since I started getting interested in film and video forever ago and even though it kind of has deteriorated into a popularity contest of sorts, I still love it and what it means getting one.
On that note, I would like to say that Sandy Jerkface, who won for Costume Design, was very unladylike. Her speech truly hurt my feelings. 'I already have two of these'. This bitch... But Tom Ford was rather dashing.
Everything else was pretty good after that one little thing. Quentin didn't get any Oscars (if you know me, you know that I am NOT his biggest fan), Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin were hilarious, NPH was fierce as hell, Ben Stiller cracked me up, everyone's outfits were amazing but what was up with George Clooney? And what was up with the Love Letters to all the Best Actor / Best Actress nominees?
Did anyone else notice all the awkward moments throughout the broadcast as well? Like, the Director couldn't really tell when someone was done talking but he/she didn't want to start the music just yet because he/she didn't want to look like an asshole but he/she did anyway because the show was 30 minutes behind schedule? It was a little weird but not too off-putting.
The best part? Kathyrn Bigelow winning Best Director, of course! Also: The featurette on the importance of Short Films and the coolest speech from Michael Giacchino when he won for Best Original Score for Up:
When I was nine, I asked my Dad, ‘Can I have your movie camera? That old, wind-up 8-millimeter movie camera that’s in your drawer?’ And he goes, ‘Sure, take it.’ And I took it, and I started making movies with it, and I started being as creative as I could, and never once in my life did my parents ever say, ’ What you’re doing is a waste of time.’ Never….. I know there are kids out there that don’t have that support system. So, if you’re out there and you’re listening, listen to me: If you wanna be creative, get out there and do it. It’s not a waste of time.
I wanted to cry when I heard that! I was thinking of all the times I used to pester my aunt for her Hi-8 to make silly movies with my doll collection and thought of all the kids who never get that opportunity. I was also full of such gratitude for all the opportunities I have been given to pursue my passion for film and video. What a truly inspiring speech!
The Oscars really inspired me last night. With all its glitz, grandeur and silliness, it really reminded me that film making has evolved into this crazy platform that is constantly pushing the boundaries. And if you're an aspiring filmmaker, remember that collaboration is the key. Movies have giant crews of people who work tirelessly towards one common goal: to bring a story to life. You can't make movies alone. Cherish the crews you work with and when you find the right collaborative group, don't let go. Treat each other with respect and gratitude because one day, you may be able to share the Oscar with them.

Love and kisses,
Katzi
S.L.Y.A.S.D.I.

2 comments:

  1. The Oscars were unintentionally hilarious, I think. Always fun to watch!

    Thank you for reading :)

    ReplyDelete